Upgrading an Application in Use

How does one monitor for specified running processes so that PDQ Deploy knows when it can successfully install the new version of an application?

Another option might be to use Powershell App Deployment Toolkit where it prompts the user to close the application before installing. This works well with SCCM, but I can't find a way for PDQ Deploy to present the GUI to the logged on user.

Thanks.

Cancel
login to comment

I have this very simple powershell script that will fail the deployment if the specified process is running. Just put it in a powershell step at the beginning of your deployment:

$Process = Get-Process notepad -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue

if ($Process -ne $null) #if process exists
{
    Write-Output "process running. Exiting"
    exit 1 #exit with error code 1
}

If you use the Powershell App Deployment Toolkit or anything else that needs to be interactive to the user, make sure that step runs as logged on user. (Options tab -> Run As)

Cancel
login to comment

Running as a logged on user would be helpful, but it requires the user to have admin rights. With SCCM, the user can be a standard user.

Ah, right. Try running as Deploy user (interactive). That won't require your users to have admin rights, and will still run in an interactive shell and show messages to the logged on user.

Cancel
login to comment

Oh thank you, I missed that detail.

Cancel
login to comment