Set Deployment Priority?

Why is there not way to set priority on packages so that packages with higher priority get installed first?

Example is if I have a current deploy running and I want to Push out a separate package to just a hand full of computers, I should be able to set a high priority for this new deployment so that it gets higher priority in the deployment queue and gets pushed out as quickly as possible.

Cancel
login to comment

I came here to do a similar feature request. We use the auto deployments to manage a bunch of different installs so there are constantly installations queued. When I am building a new package and need to test it "Deploy Now" really means "Get it in the queue now and wait an hour" which makes ironing the kinks out of a multi-step package time consuming. I would love it if "Deploy Now" put the jobs at the front of the queue instead of the back. It would also work fine if we could go to "All Deployments" and somehow adjust the priority or bump a job.

Cancel
login to comment

This would be very useful.

Cancel
login to comment

Would also like this

Cancel
login to comment

I would also benefit from an option like this. As Brian stated stopping the running deployment and then restarting it seems clunky and inefficient.

Cancel
login to comment

Came here to suggest this.  I'm rather surprised this idea doesn't have more support.  Currently, I just abort the larger deployment already in progress, send out my smaller deployment, then redeploy to failed computers.  It works, but it's not very elegant.

Cancel
login to comment

I would also like to see this. I have to abort the running deployments and reboot the machine with PDQ installed before I can successfully deploy something I need deployed straight away.

Cancel
login to comment

This would be a great feature. Please look into adding this. Thanks

Cancel
login to comment

I run into this issue with laptops that kick off multiple heartbeat deployments when they connect. The first deployment in the queue is always windows updates with all of the smaller, quicker deployments queued up after it. If the laptop is closed or shutdown before the windows update finishes, which is more common than not, then all of my other deployments fail with it. If I catch them happening during my office hours I can abort the update and redeploy so the smaller deployments succeed, but a lot of deployments run in the off hours because several departments operate 24/7. Being able to set a higher priority on deployments, or even to set a lower priority for the bigger packages, would help to optimize the deployment process.

Cancel
login to comment

This would be a great addition to PDQ, the only way we get around it (kinda) is to use nested packages to deploy let's say an OS patch before another OS patch

In the nested package the other packages become steps, here we can change the order of the deployment or rather juggle the steps 1-17 to suit needs - see example below where I threw a bunch of packages together.

Not the most elegant solution for some sort of deployment preference but gotta find what works if a particular installation requires groundwork beforehand

You can also change the Concurrent Target Limits under preferences with Pro or Enterprise versions might make your deployments move along more steadily, but the higher the numbers, the greater the use of server memory, CPU resources, and network bandwidth all good things come at a cost.

Cancel
login to comment

+1 for this. I have another thread asking for the same feature. Currently sitting here now have waited over 30 minutes for a deployment to 20 computers (3-4 minutes a piece) to finally finish. Should have been able to be out the door and delivering them across town by now!! Really frustrating, when this seems like a trivial feature (I'm not a developer) to implement!

Cancel
login to comment