office 2013-64bit deployment upgrade from 2010-32bit

I'm having a hard time getting PDQ to deploy office 2013 64bit edition to computers with office 2010 32bit edition.

It will copy the files needed but it won't install at all. The deployment will keep running but nothing is really happening. After 30 minutes I give up and abort it. I have made sure that all GUI was suppressed.

One thing I tried to do was to manually try the setup on the test computer. Found out as soon as I run my script "setup /adminfile custom.msp" I get the error "can't install 64bit office while having office 32bit". Well that might explain why it keeps running indefinitely with PDQ.

Then I tried to not suppress the GUI so I can see the deployment while logged into the computer PDQ is pushing to. I still didn't see the GUI? I thought it would show it?

I'm kind of at a standstill. Installs work without prior office 2010 32bit on it. I got it to work once with an office 2010 32bit but that was random and after running some office scrub vbs file.

Cancel
login to comment

Thanks all for the replies. We've bought the pro license and are going to go with the 32 bit office install as it's more straightforward. Thanks.

Cancel
login to comment

Hi Jonathan,

To answer your question, yes, Deploy User (interactive) is a Pro/Enterprise Mode feature not available in Free Mode.

I was able to locate a post that had more information pertinent to what it is you're trying to do, and hopefully it will provide some help:

http://support.adminarsenal.com/entries/97815638

Cancel
login to comment

Thanks for answering Jason. My follow up question would be the option of "deploy user (interactive)". Is the "interactive" part of the name of the option? I only have "deploy user" & "local system" as options. By default deploy user is set. So even with this option there was no visible GUI. Is this a "pro" version option?

As for why 64bit vs 32bit? Well that's what the IT dept was pushing when I got here. But it does give access to bigger files for Excel & Project. I was surprised when I read on a Microsoft site that 32bit is their recommended option unless you need the bigger file size support.

Thanks.

Cancel
login to comment

Hi Jonathan,

Great troubleshooting on your part by running the installation locally on a machine to see the error that was causing Deploy to hang.  By default PDQ is going to try and run silently so the only way you'd see that happen is if you change the Package to run as Deploy User (Interactive).  I'm not sure of your reasoning for going from 32 bit to 64 bit but you'll have to uninstall the 32 bit version prior to that deployment working correctly for you.

Cancel
login to comment