The collection is coming from a true collection such as a group of computers with a certain version of an application.
Just an example, the number might now be exact.
I can have 14,000 computers with the latest version of Chrome, over the weekend I then deploy the latest version of Chrome to an additional 6,000 endpoints.
On Monday when I come into the office the latest version of Chrome collection number should say 20,000 endpoints without me even having to click on the collection. But, it has in fact not changed at all (even though I told the weekend 6,000 endpoint deployment to do a new inventory scan after the upgrade).
I then click on the collection and then have to physically sit and watch the collection number and list slowly grow because it's going through all 25,000+ endpoints to see what version of Chrome they are using by pulling that information from the database.
I've been told by PDQ support that the collection numbers are supposed to update in the background (abet at a low priority) without having to view them, but for me this has not been the case. Unless I have a collection group open in the console the number of endpoints in the collection is never updated. If I close the console and then log bag in and open it at a later date the numbers are always the same as the last time I closed it.
My biggest issue is not really with the database itself. My reports are always up to date, it's how the console get's it's information from the database that seems to be the bottleneck.
I'd be more than happy to talk with you on the phone to see if we can come up with a solution. I am in the UTC/GMT -7 (Arizona, USA) Time zone. My number is 480-812-7690 and I'm usually available between 8:00am-3:00pm