Background Service is not running

I am referring to the script in this thread: https://support.adminarsenal.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/220479147-Remote-deployment-Background-service-not-running?input_string=Background%20Service%20is%20not%20running

Which says:

$secpasswd = ConvertTo-SecureString "DOMAIN_ADMIN_PASSWORD" -AsPlainText -Force
$creds = New-Object System.Management.Automation.PSCredential ("DOMAIN\DOMAIN_ADMIN",$secpasswd)
$remotecomputer = Get-Content env:computername

Invoke-Command -ComputerName SERVER_RUNNING_PDQ_DEPLOY -Credential $creds -ScriptBlock { param($name) & 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Admin Arsenal\PDQ Deploy\PDQDeploy.exe' Deploy -Package 'PDQ_DEPLOY_PACKAGE_NAME' -Target $name } -ArgumentList $remotecomputer

However when I run this I get this error:

Cancel
login to comment
$remotecomputer = Get-Content env:computername

That's going to vomit red text all over a prompt. 

1.  You can't Get-Content that variable
  2.  it's $env:computername, not env:computername

In order for this to work, you have to do a couple of things. 

1.  You need to make sure the account you are using for the Creds of the Invoke-Command are listed in the Console Users section of preferences
  2. Use TCP not named Pipes
  • Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Admin Arsenal\PDQ Deploy
  • Value: ServicePort (DWORD value)
  • It can be any port you want

Finally, the code should look like this:

Invoke-Command -ComputerName <pdq server> -Credential $creds -ScriptBlock{ pdqdeploy.exe Deploy -Package <package name> -Targets $args[0] } -ArgumentList $RemoteComputer

Cancel
login to comment

Restart your background Service.

Cancel
login to comment

Thanks you Stephen.. and I found the video too. 

Cancel
login to comment

HA GOT IT!!

Cancel
login to comment

Restart your background Service. That should fix that issue.

Cancel
login to comment

Adding the port caused PDQ to not open. Is there a value I need to stay between?

I remember them saying something about the service port in a video, but I can't find that video to save me

Cancel
login to comment