Citrix Receiver Cleanup Utility Hangs During Deploy

Hello, everyone.

I'm hoping someone out there has had (and solved) this issue and can point me in the right direction. Here's my situation. I have a couple hundred computers in my organization that need to have a legacy Citrix client removed (Online Plug-In 12.3) and the LTSR version of Citrix Receiver installed (currently ver. 4.09). What I have done for individual machines is run the Receiver Cleanup Utility, reboot, then install Receiver using the CLI and the necessary switches to force the server, enable SSO, etc. This works, but I need to be able to do this on a larger scale. So, I started looking to PDQ Deploy. I see there is a package available in the gallery that says it will run the Cleanup Utility, but I could not get it to work, so I began tinkering with making my own package. It consists of 6 steps: reboot, run the cleanup utility, reboot, install Receiver, copy a shortcut to the public desktop, and reboot. Currently, the uninstall/install steps are calling batch files that disable UAC, run the EXEs, then re-enable UAC.

My issue is that my results are sketchy when trying to run this package. The reboot steps are fine and work as they should. But, the running of the Cleanup Utility and the installation of Receiver seem to hang until the deployment times out. I saw some stuff regarding modifying a couple of Registry keys to temporarily disable the admin UAC prompts, which seem to work if I log into the machine directly and run the batch file directly. But, the steps bomb out if run through PDQ Deploy and the output log only tells me that it exceeded the timeout period, nothing more.

I'm hoping someone out there has dealt with this before and can point me at a solution. I'll also keep plugging away at it and update this post if I stumble across something that helps.

Thanks in advance for any help.

-Matt

Cancel
login to comment

My first go-to question: Are you running the failing step with a silent command (/S or similar)? It sounds like it's waiting for a response, then timing out.

Cancel
login to comment

Oops, sorry, I forgot that info. Yes, I am running the /silent parameter according to the documentation for each EXE to prevent any prompts. That is how I stumbled across the registry changes to prevent the UAC prompts that some up even when things are run as an admin.

I will also add that the BAT files I'm running are calling those EXEs from a network share via the full UNC path. IT doesn't seem to make a difference, but it may be relevant.

Do you think I'd be better off copying the EXEs to a temp directory on the local machine, then removing them after they run?

Cancel
login to comment

If possible, I would use PowerShell rather than batch scripts.

Cancel
login to comment

Sweet - I'll give that a go! Thanks!

Cancel
login to comment