Feature Request - Nest package by dragging it into another package

TL;DR - enable functionality to drag a package or multiple packages into another package to nest them.

We use the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit to deploy Windows to new computers. We have custom applications in MDT that call PDQ packages during the computer deployment. If I'm deploying a new computer in MDT for Joe, in MDT, I'll choose to install PDQ Custom Applications 01, which (after Windows is installed) will kick off a corresponding PDQ package called Custom Applications 01. I'll then nest all of the PDQ packages that Joe will need on his computer into that package. It would make things so much faster if I could open the Custom Applications 01 PDQ package and then just drag a bunch of other PDQ packages into this one and have it nest each of them, instead of clicking "new step", "nested package", and then choose the package I want to nest, and then do the same thing over, and over, and over again because it will only let you nest one package at a time.

Cancel
login to comment

Sounds useful to me too.

A possible workaround until then: you can multi-select packages from your library list, and on the other pane, there is a "Create new package nesting these packages"

In fact, as a secondary feature, I request that when creating/editing a package, while adding nested packages, you be able to multi-select them there as well.

Cancel
login to comment

Thanks for the workaround suggestion. I had totally forgotten that option existed. For my particular use case, I don't think that would be a good idea because my MDT server runs a PowerShell command that calls that specific PDQ package by name, so unless I delete the PDQ package every time and then "Create new package nesting these packages" and use the same name, it wouldn't help. I think your workaround would be fine if I could trust the people doing the deployments to delete the current package and name the new one the EXACT same thing that the old one had been called, but I don't think I can count on that happening.

Cancel
login to comment