Adobe Reader DC will not update. Receiving error code 1603.

I am trying to upgrade an older version of Adobe Reader and the pre-built automatic update package for Adobe Reader DC 19.012.20034 throws an error every time.

Can PDQ fix this issue because their pre-built deployment script doesn't work?

Cancel
login to comment

That usually means there is an installation progress. Restart the computer a few times and try again. The deployment works for our environment.

Cancel
login to comment

The issue is it's trying to install the base version, but not sure why PDQ configured as such. The I cannot run the update separate because then I can the following error below; it wont let me output.log the install because the error pops up immediately.

Seems no solutions for pushing updates for Adobe Reader DC, it's odd.

enter image description here

Cancel
login to comment

What is the full name of the package you are trying to deploy? If it's the patch, the target has to already have Reader installed. Also, the patches are specific to each train. For example, if the target has DC 2015, you can't deploy the DC 2017 patch to it.

Another thing you can try is to deploy the "Uninstall Adobe Reader" package, then try again with a package that does not say "patch".

Cancel
login to comment

So a user will have Adobe Acrobat Reader DC 19.012.20034 for example. An update of 19.012.20035 will become available.

If I push the package down using the auto download feature of the 19.012.20035 version, it fails because for some odd reason it tries to push out the base version which makes no sense.

When I convert to a standard package and move the update step up and try to just update the person's Adobe Acrobat Reader DC version, it says the following:

The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade patch.

So basically I have all these outdated Adobe Acrobat Reader DC users who have CVE vulnerabilities and PDQ cannot update them. Very frustrating.

Cancel
login to comment

It sounds like what you are doing should work. The Adobe Reader packages are some of our most popular, and this is the first time I've heard of something like this. Please contact support@pdq.com.

Cancel
login to comment

1603 is a generic MSI error that says little more than "something went wrong". If you dig into the Output Log you can usually find a line somewhere in the middle that gives you a better error message.

Cancel
login to comment