Pick install file based on IP address

Hi everyone,

I'm just getting started with PDQ Deploy and was wondering if there is a way to pick the server that hosts the installer based on the IP address of the computer the software is being install on.

Here is the situation:

We have our main office in Wisconsin where the IP address of all user machines is 10.1.XXX.XXX. We also have an office in California where all user machines have an IP address of 10.3.XXX.XXX. Both offices have a server that, among other things, holds installers for all of our companies programs.

Say I want to install Firefox for a user. Is there a way PDQ can check the IP address of the users computer and do the following:

• If it starts with 10.1 pull the installer from \server-wisco\firefox\firefox_installer.exe
  • If it starts with 10.3 pull the installer from \server-cali\firefox\firefox_installer.exe

I realize for Firefox pulling the installer from Wisconsin to California wouldn't take that long, but something like the entire Adobe Creative Cloud suite would take days. Right now I'm probably going to create a batch file with a bunch of if statements to check the machines IP, but I was wondering if there was a cleaner way to do this.

Thanks!

Cancel
login to comment

If both offices are in the same Domain, set up a DFS Share

enter link description here

If not, try this:

https://www.pdq.com/blog/alternative-to-dfs-deploying-to-remote-sites-with-powershell/

Cancel
login to comment