Deploy Dell BIOS and Driver Updates

We have about 40 workstations in our environment. All are Dell, but we only have about 5 of any given model. We are still running Windows 7 and I am looking for guidance on how to update drivers and BIOS on these systems. I am new to PDQ Deploy and Inventory so haven't even scratched the surface of what is possible. Does anyone use PDQ to manage these updates? If so, can you provide instructions? I have found various articles and instructions on slipstreaming drivers with OS deployment but am struggling to find anything current and/or relevant to our environment. If deploying through PDQ, do I need to download individual drivers for each component and utilize multiple steps, download the family pack (if it is available) or what is the process?

Any help is appreciated.

Cancel
login to comment

PDQ and DCU work great together and do exactly what you want, single setup for every (compatible) model.

I don't know how often they're releasing Windows 7 versions, though.

https://community.pdq.com/posts/1173-deploying-bios-updates-with-pdq-deploy

Cancel
login to comment

Grant, Am looking at the link you referenced and working to set something up. Do you recommend deploying DCU first and using that, or just creating an update package for each model with all the different drivers that need to be updated?

Thank you.

Cancel
login to comment

You can do drivers through Windows Update and, by extension, WSUS. As far as the BIOS, I've had to do that before and it was a real nightmare. A lot of updates are .exe files but they require input or they are just a self-extracting file that you have to import from the BIOS itself. Silent deployment documentation is sporadic at best so YMMV on this one.

Cancel
login to comment