Spreadsheet Server Deployment

Hello,

Shot in the dark here, but does anyone have experience setting up Spreadsheet Server by Insight Software using PDQ? I'm at the very end where I need to get the software configured to point to a network share which has the DotNetConnections.xml which is needed for authentication. I feel like I should be able to setup PDQ to overwrite the SSSettings.xml which resides in C:\Users\Public\Documents\Global Software Inc\Spreadsheet Server\ but no luck so far.

There is no silent install documentation from Insight Software. Their documentation simply states that the software needs linked to the above .xml file without explaining how to automate that process. I've contacted their company, but they've been silent thus far.

Thanks!

Cancel
login to comment

Are you using the step of file copy? If so, are you using the options to overwrite existing files? If you are using this, what errors are being produced by that step?

Thanks for the response. PDQ is working fine. It's overwriting that file correctly. It's a hard issue to explain.

The software is what is unfriendly. Once it's installed it asks for a share location for the DotNetConnections.xml. This is how the software authenticates and allows a user access to the software. Upon further investigation it seems the DotNetConnections.xml is a large repository of all the AD users that have been setup to access the software. Each user has an entry in that XML with a unique encrypted password (auto generated). So basically the software will analyze the XML file once input and it will look for the AD username. If it finds the username it'll grab the encrypted password and allow the user into the software. If it cannot find the username they receive an error saying they lack security access to the system.

I've checked a couple user machines running this software and each persons SSSettings.xml file on their PC has their unique encrypted password associated. So unfortunately each users xml file is unique and the Spreadsheet Server software is the piece that needs to generate the file.

The software vendors support is lacking so as of now this still in a mystery to me.

Cancel
login to comment